Daily Archives: April 3, 2015


Kičevo (Kichevo) – Most Pure Mother of God

Most Pure Mother of God – Sveta Bogorodica Prechista – Света Богородица Пречистa in Kičevo (Кичево, Kichevo) This monastery (convent) founded in 1316 dedicated to the Immaculate (Prechista) Holy Mother of God (Bogorodica) is located about 5 kilometers south of Kičevo on the road to Ohrid on the slopes of […]

Sv Bogorodica Prechiste - Immaculate Holy Mother of God in Kichevo

Kaneo – St. John the Theologian

Saint John the Theologian – Sveti Jovan Bogoslov – Свети Јован Богослов – Kaneo (Канео) On a peninsular cliff overlooking Lake Ohrid near the fishing village of Kaneo (west of the city Ohrid) is the church dedicated to the Apostle John. Written records establishing the founding of the church are […]


Kaneo – Birth of St. Mary

Church of the Birth of St. Mary – Sv. Mala Bogorodica – Цв. Мала Богородица in Kaneo (Канео) This church, dedicated to the Holy Virginy, is located on the Kaneo peninsula on Lake Ohrid just below the Church of St. John the Theologian (Sv. Jovan Kaneo).  Above the entry into […]


Introduction – Churches & Monasteries

Churches – Цркви (Crkvi) and Monasteries – Манастири (Manastiri) At just about any fueling station in Macedonia, you can purchase a map titled Churches and Monasteries that shows the location of all the major churches & monasteries in Macedonia. According to this map, the Macedonian Orthodox Church is organized into ten […]


Konče (Konche) – St. Stephen

St. Stephen – Sv. Stefan – Св. Стефан, Konče (Konche, Конче) This monastery and church dedicated to St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr, in the village of Konče (Konche) was built in 1366.  Originally, when the church was built it was a monastery dedicated to St. Mary (Св Богородица).  Hence, […]


Gorni Kozjak – St. George

St. George – Sv. Gjorgji (Цв. Ѓорѓи) –  Gorni Kozjak (Горни Козјак) This 9th Century Church dedicated to St. George is located about 100 meters from the ancient town of Bargala, and about 16 kilometers away from modern day Štip near the village of Gorni Kozjak.  The foundation of the […]