Povardarie Winery – Винарија Повардарие
Established in 1963, the Povardarie Winery located in the town of Negotino began with 25 employees and a 2 million liter capacity. In 2008 the winery was purchased by Vino Župa, a wine and juice company based in Aleksandrovac, Serbia. Today, the winery has an annual production capacity of 30 million liters and the majority of their wine is exported to Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Germany, and Latvia.
Povardarie’s Traditional line of wines includes Country White, Smederevka, Country Rose, Country Red, Kadarka and Vranec. For modern tastes and mixing, such as Oro Spritzers, they have developed the Oro White (with fresh fruity aromas and softly sweet palate) and the Oro Rose (also with fresh fruity aromas and softly sweet).
Their Quality Wine Selection features the following:
- Chardonnay – a dry white with citrus aromas, elements of apples and peaches.
- Riesling – a dry white with a citrus blossom bouquet and fruity palate.
- Sauvignon Blanc – a dry white with refreshing fruity aromas and palate.
- Traminec – floral bouquet and fruity palate
- Made from Syrah, with soft red berry aromas such as raspberries and strawberries, with a fresh fruity Palate
- Cabernet Sauvignon – red currant and chocolate aromas and dark fruit flavors such as black currant and plum.
- Merlot – black cherry and plum aromas and forest fruit flavors.
- Pinot Noir – aroma and taste of raspberries, cherries and strawberries with floral notes.
- Vranec – dark ruby red in color with intense wild forest fruits bouquet and wild berry palate and nice tannins.
In addition to wines, they have a long tradition of producing quality spirits such as the Lozova Žolta Rakija (Grape Golden Brandy) and the Stara Žolta Rakija (Old Golden Brandy). These brandies (rakija) are made using Macedonian traditional methods and are aged in oak barrels.